Bring a little heat into your life with a cup of this Mexican hot chocolate. With the added spices and espresso granules this classic warm beverage will never be the same.
Mexican Hot Chocolate
What you need:
- 3 oz (1/2 cup/90 mL unsweetened) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares or chips
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Redpath Granulated White Sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) instant espresso granules
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- zest of 1 large orange
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) almond extract
- cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
How to prepare:
1. Combine chocolate, sugar, espresso granules, cinnamon, salt, orange zest, and water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Whisk in milk and almond extract, and continue to cook over low heat, making sure not to bring mixture back to a boil. Remove saucepan from the stove, and whisk hot chocolate until foamy.
3. Pour into mugs. Top with whipped cream and use a cinnamon stick for garnish, if desired.