This candied bacon is the ultimate Canadian snack, perfect to serve while watching a hockey game with friends and family! The sweet molasses flavour of the brown sugar compliments the slight bitterness of the beer nicely, making these super crispy treats a flavourful sensation.
Beer Candied Bacon
What you need:
- 1 lb (454 g) thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup (110 g) Redpath Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) beer (preferably a darker beer, like a stout)
How to prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
2. Combine brown sugar and beer in a small bowl, whisking well to form a thin syrup. Set aside.
3. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top. Place the pieces of bacon on top of the rack, overlapping them if necessary (they will shrink as they cook). Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the bacon from the oven and brush one side of the bacon strips with the beer syrup, then flip them over to coat the other side with more syrup. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and repeat the process again. Continue to bake and glaze the bacon in this way until the bacon is crispy and very dark in colour, about 40 – 60 minutes.
5. Once the bacon is cooked and crispy, let the strips cool until they’re easy to handle, then transfer them to a parchment lined plate and let them cool completely, about 1 hour. Once cooled, serve immediately, or store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.