This salad gets a wallop of flavour from the caramelized apple vinaigrette, a wonderfully sweet and tangy dressing is the perfect reason to enjoy a bowl of healthy, crisp greens any day of the year.
Cranberry & Mixed Green Salad with Caramelized Apple Vinaigrette
What you need:
For the Salad:
- 4 cups (120 g) mixed greens
- 1/3 cup (36 g) dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (35 g) pumpkin seeds, toasted
- crumbled feta (optional)
For the Caramelized Apple Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup (63 g) Redpath Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup (70 ml) + 2 tbsp (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 sweet apple, peeled, cored & diced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- salt, to taste
How to Prepare:
For the Vinaigrette:
1. In a small pot, combine the dark brown sugar with 1/3 cup of the apple cider vinegar. Cook over medium heat, reducing the mixture until it thickens and turns a dark caramel colour. Once this happens, you will start to see big foamy bubbles on the surface. While it’s cooking, peel, core & chop the apple, then mince the garlic.
2. Add the diced apple and garlic to the sugar vinegar mixture and sauté until the apples are cooked through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove the pot from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Pour the mixture into a blender and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar, thyme, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Blend on high until smooth.
4. Slowly pour in the oil while blending on low until the dressing is emulsified. Taste and season with salt and a splash or two more of vinegar, if so desired. Store dressing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month. This dressing will go well with tart apples, mixed greens, spinach, and salty cheese like feta.
For the Salad:
1. Toss the mixed greens, cranberries, and toasted pumpkin seeds together in a salad bowl. Drizzle with caramelized apple vinaigrette and top with crumbled feta cheese, if so desired. Serve immediately.