Nothing says summer quite like sitting by the campfire, roasting marshmallows, and eating s’mores with friends and family. Now you can make your very own graham crackers for your next campfire – they’re simple and oh so delicious.
What you need:
- 2 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons (336 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (4 g) kosher or coarse sea salt
- 7 tbsp (100 g) unsalted butter, cut into cubes and frozen
- 1/3 cup (114 g) Redpath Agave Nectar OR mild-flavored honey
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) pure vanilla extract
How to prepare:
1. Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter until the mixture is the consistency of a coarse meal.
3. In a small bowl or beaker, whisk together the agave (or honey), milk, and vanilla extract.
4. Add the wet ingredients the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form. Use your hands to knead the dough together.
5. Divide the dough in two and form each section into a rectangle. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
6. Once the dough has been chilled, remove one section from the fridge. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll the dough into a long rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. The dough might be sticky, so flour as necessary.
7. Trim the edges of the rectangle. Cut into vertical strips, as evenly as you can, then make several horizontal cuts to slice the dough into squares.
8. Place the crackers on one or two parchment-lined baking sheets and chill until firm, about 30 to 45 minutes in the fridge or 15 to 20 minutes in the freezer. Repeat with the second batch of dough. Finally, gather any scraps together into a ball, chill until firm, and re-roll.
9. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
10. Before baking, decorate your crackers, if you so desire. Use a fork to create two dotted lines on each cracker.
11. Bake graham crackers for 15 to 25 minutes, until browned and slightly firm to the touch, rotating the sheets halfway through to ensure even baking. Let cool on baking racks completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 – 5 days. Bring on your next camping trip for s’mores. Use homemade marshmallows to make them an extra decadent from-scratch treat.