These candied nuts are the perfect snack to have on hand for any and all occasions – game day, family gatherings, or a long day of travelling. They’d make wonderful little gifts, too!
The lavender and rosemary pair beautifully to bring these to a whole new level, but we warn you now, they are quite addictive!
Lavender, Rosemary & Cinnamon Spiced Nuts
What you need:
- 2 cups (500 mL) Pecans or Walnuts (or a mixture of both)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Redpath Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (30 mL) dried lavender
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
How to prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Spread the nuts out on a parchment-lined baking sheet, then toast in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes, until slightly browned and fragrant. Once toasted, set aside.
3. Place the lavender in a mortar and pestle and grind to release the essential oils. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, finely chop the lavender along with the fresh rosemary leaves. Transfer to a small bowl and mix in the cinnamon and salt.
4. In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water, and bring to a boil without stirring. Continue boiling over medium-high heat until the mixture reads 238°F (115°C) on a candy thermometer. The mixture will still be very light in colour, as you’re not caramelizing the sugar, just bringing it to the soft ball stage.
5. As soon as the sugar mixture reaches the correct temperature, remove it from the heat and carefully stir in the lavender, rosemary, cinnamon and salt, making sure it’s well combined.
6. Carefully pour the sugar mixture over the nuts, and quickly stir them with a spatula to get them as evenly coated as possible.
7. Let the nuts cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container or in bags at room temperature for several days, or in the freezer for up to one month.