This recipe is a perfect combination of fall favourites – apples and muffins. The classic streusel topping is a sweet crumble that makes these muffins even more yummy to wake up to on a crisp morning.
What you need for the muffins
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 2 teaspoons (7g) pumpkin spice
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter
- 1 cup (200g) Redpath Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 2 large apples – any variety, peeled and chopped
What you need for the topping
- 1/3 cup (70g) packed Redpath Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 (7g) tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ (1g) teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon (14g) butter
Yield: 12 muffins
Active Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook and Resting Time: 25 minutes
- Streusel topping can be used in just about all of your baking. Try it baked on muffins and coffee cakes or just bake it on parchment then sprinkle it on top of ice cream or yogurt.
How to prepare
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in apples and gradually fold in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin liners until they are 2/3 full.
- In a small bowl mix together the Redpath Dark Brown Sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Add in the butter and rub the ingredients together with your fingertips until the mixture is like coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the streusel over the tops of the batter and place the muffins in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to sit for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin pan. Cool on a wire rack before serving.