Tofu for dessert, now there’s an idea! Tofu can be easily used in both sweet and savoury recipes because it so easily adopts different flavours. We combined silken tofu with avocado to give it a hearty-yet-smooth base to create this heavenly chocolate mousse. Trust us, you won’t even be able to tell it’s tofu!
What you need
- 1 ½ cups (255 g) vegan semi-sweet chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp (13 g) coconut oil
- 1 package (300 g) silken tofu, drained
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) non-dairy milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) whipped vegan topping
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chilling Time: 2 hours
Yield: 6 servings
- Try adding ⅓ cup of your favourite nut butter to the tofu avocado mixture and top the chilled mousse with the same type of nut, toasted.
- For a non-vegan option, try our The Most Decadent Chocolate Mousse recipe.
How to prepare
- Place the chocolate and coconut oil in a medium microwaveable bowl. Melt on high in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is almost melted. Remove and stir until smooth.
- In the bowl of a food processor process the tofu, avocado, Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, milk, vanilla and salt until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add the melted chocolate; process until fully combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and gently fold in the whipped topping. Spoon the mousse into six 1 cup serving dishes, filling them about ⅔ full. Cover with plastic wrap and allow mousse to chill for a minimum of 2 hour.
- Serve chilled with extra whipped topping and toasted nuts (we used pistachios) or fresh berries, if desired.