Margaritas are a popular Mexican cocktail, and this sweet & zingy lime mix makes for a super refreshing drink to enjoy all throughout the spring and summer.
What you need for the Lime Simple Syrup
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice (8 – 12 limes)
What you need for the Margaritas
- 1 batch Margarita Mix
- ¾ cup (6 oz/175 mL) white tequila
- ½ cup (125 mL) orange liqueur
- Redpath® Granulated Sugar for frosted rims (optional)
- lime wedges for garnish (optional)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 margaritas
How to prepare the Lime Simple Syrup
- Combine the sugar and water in a small sauce pan and place over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved to make a simple syrup. Set aside and let cool.
- Juice all of the limes. We recommend juicing them over a mesh sieve in order to prevent any seeds or pulp from getting into the mix.
- Stir together the lime juice and the simple syrup. If not using right away, store in a sealed glass jar in the fridge. The mix will keep well for 7 – 10 days.
How to prepare the Margaritas
- Stir together the mix, tequila, and orange liqueur.
- To frost the rims of your glasses, pour about 1/2 cup (100 g) of sugar onto a plate. Dip the rim of your glass in a bowl of water, then press into the sugar to coat the rim. Lift up the glass, shake gently, then set aside. Repeat this step with each margarita glass.
- Pour the margaritas mixture over ice, and serve with lime wedges for garnish (if you so desire).